Table of Content
For the last few decades or so local cable has been ruling the market and people had no other option other than opting to go for the local cable in order to watch different types of TV channels on the personal television.
The need for the public to view a clear television picture created the cable television industry to emerge in the early 1940s. It was the most practical way to deliver regular television broadcasts with the help of the airwaves or electromagnetic spectrum.
While using local cable people used to depend more on the cable TV providers and local cable operators, and you will also find that cable TV has a limited number of channels, but still, as there were no other options, people in spite of facing different types of problems used to depend heavily on local cable connection.
However, with the increased popularity of IPTV (Internet-based Protocol Television), which is a type of service where internet is used to deliver TV programs or videos that are either live or on-demand, more and more people started to shift from normal cable TV to IPTV. Internet Protocol Television or IPTV is a fast emerging concept which has gained immense popularity in recent years. The fantastic features of IPTV provide a number of benefits and enhance the television viewing experience.
Don’t miss=> 9 Best IPTV Players for Andriod (FREE)
Although the best part of IPTV is that it gives the viewers the added advantage and convenience of being able to pick the program they want to watch whenever and wherever they feel like watching rather than tuning into any Live TV shows that are being aired currently.
Now, we will move into the main section of this article, where we will reveal the primary reasons to ditch cable and eventually switch to IPTV.
What is IPTV?
IPTV or (Internet-based Protocol Television) is a system where digital television service is delivered to the subscriber through Internet protocol technology via the medium of broadband or internet connection.
IPTV uses Internet protocol (IP) based network to deliver TV channels to your set-top box. Internet Protocol networks are different from cable and satellite networks as they offer content through the same client-server model that renders email, websites, and other Internet-based services.
Using IPTV is much like browsing the Internet rather than traditional channel surfing. It merely uses IP, a transport protocol which is actually a delivery mechanism to deliver the videos to the viewer.
In IPTV, whenever the viewer clicks on any TV program or requests any video content, video content from different sources (servers) is divided into data packets and sent over the Internet.
You will find two main types of IPTV architecture depending on the network architecture of the service provider that can be considered for IPTV deployment. The two main types of IPTV architecture are centralized architecture and distributed architecture.
The centralized architecture model is relatively simple to understand and easy to manage as in this model, all media contents are stored on centralized servers, and hence, it does not require a comprehensive content distribution system.
On the other hand, Distributed architecture model is just as scalable as the centralized model, although it has bandwidth usage advantages and inherent system management features that are essential for managing extensive server networks.
Main Features of IPTV are as follows
- By using IPTV, you will be able to watch global channels along with the local cable channels.
- IPTV enables you to record your favorite shows if you can’t watch them on time due to some reason.
- IPTV allows you to make a custom list of selected channels and pay the price for those channels only rather than paying for a huge number of unnecessary channels.
- IPTV helps you to enjoy high-quality HD videos.
- IPTV supports interactive TV with bi-directional capabilities. Due to this feature, personalization is possible and hence you can pre-program what to watch and when to watch.
- It comes with different types of applications like interactive games and live TV applications.
- While using IPTV, you will come across features like pause TV, start-over TV, music on demand, weather information, video recorder, media players, and internet browsers.
- Apart from TV sets, you can also use the IPTV services on Desktop PCs, laptops, mobiles, and tablets, etc.
- The services of IPTV can be used on multiple devices, which is one of the most popular features of this new technology.
The monthly cost of IPTV
If you search on the Internet, you will find several IPTV providers with different monthly charges so in this section of this article we will mention some of the top quality IPTV providers and we will also mention their monthly charges.
- Sling TV: This IPTV service offers two pricing plans known as the Sling Orange and the Sling Blue plan. Both the plans are available at $25/month.
- USTVnow: This IPTV service comes with three packages. One of the packages is free while the other two packages cost $19/month and $24/month respectively.
- YouTube TV: YouTube TV offers only one package which can be accessed by investing $40/month.
- DirecTV Now: DirecTV Now offers seven packages which range from $50/month to $135/month.
- Hulu: In order to access the services of Hulu, you need to invest $45/month.
Difference Between Cable TV and IPTV
|In Cable TV you cannot record your favourite show for watching afterward.||In IPTV you will be able to record your favourite show through the record feature so that you can again watch your favourite show afterward.|
|By using a normal cable connection, you will be able to watch only the local channels, i.e., the channels of that particular country only.||By using IPTV along with the local channels, you will be able to watch the global channels as well.|
|In Cable TV each program is aired at a specific time and hence if you like a particular program you have to watch whenever it is being televised live rather than watching the program according to your own time preference.||In IPTV you can pre-program what to watch and when to watch and hence you will be able to view your shows according to your wish.|
|Cable TV services can be only used on TV sets.||Apart from TV sets, you can also use the IPTV services on Desktop PCs, laptops, mobiles, and tablets, etc.|
|In order to use cable TV on multiple TV sets, you need to purchase multiple accounts.||You will be able to use the services of a single IPTV account on multiple devices.|
|In cable TV you will not be able to run any application.||IPTV comes with different types of applications like interactive games and live TV applications.|
|Cable TV does not contain features like pause TV, start-over TV, music on demand, weather information, video recorder, media players, and internet browser.||While using IPTV, you will come across features like pause TV, start-over TV, music on demand, weather information, video recorder, media players, and internet browser.|
If you go through the entire article thoroughly, you will understand that IPTV is far better than cable TV because of its top-class features which you will not find in local cable connection.
Moreover, through IPTV, you will also be able to access different online applications like HotStar, Hulu, and Netflix, etc. on your preferred device which is impossible to access by using local cable TV connection.
So at the end of this article, we can conclude by saying that IPTV is indeed an excellent technology and much better than normal cable TV so it always a right decision to cut the cord and eventually select IPTV over normal cable TV.